Valley County Communities
Many communities in
Valley County formed and grew around three population building events: The
Great Northern Railroad opening the country to settlement in 1887, the opening
up of over a million acres of land in northeast Montana to homesteading with
the Fort Peck Allotment Act in 1913, and the Fort Peck Dam Project in 1933.
Below is just a partial listing of post offices and communities that make up
Valley County, past and present. In the 1920's there were over two dozen post
offices in the County. There were as many as 18 "Boomtowns"
associated with the Fort Peck Dam Project; of these, only the four that
established post offices are listed below. For maps of Valley County and locations
of communities over time, see the Valley County
1937 Post Road and trail map, Valley County
Ajerton - Near Lustre. Post office 1918-1920.
- Settled in 1914 by Atle Tatum. Post
Barford - Post office near the North Dakota border, 1910-1911.
- Named after Joe W. Barr, a sheep rancher. Post office
- Named after settler Clarence W. Baylor. Post office
Beaverton - A station of the Great Northern Railroad in
1887. Post office 1908-1944. Named for Beaver Creek, which flows nearby.
Coulee - Post office 1913-1916. Effie Poston was postmaster.
Boyd - Named for James Boyd, the first Postmaster. Post
office 1898-1902. Boyd is in present day Roosevelt County.
Chelt - Near Ophiem. Post office 1916-1918. Maud Bubb was postmaster.
Dane Valley - A post office from 1898 to 1912 in present day
- A post office in 1920 and 1921.
Point - Post office 1916-1936. The site is now below Fort Peck Lake.
Faranuf - Post office from 1929 to 1935, the location is now within
the boundaries of the Charlie Russell reserve surrounding Fort Peck Lake.
Fort Peck - established in 1867 on the west bank of the Missouri River about
one mile above the present site of Fort Peck Dam. It was abondoned
Fort Peck - Established in 1934 by the Corp of Engineers as
the headquarters for the Fort Peck Dam project.
- Named after the foreman of a railroad grading crew, Frazer was a railroad station
in 1887. The post office was established in 1907.
Galpin - Post
Charley Chervenka was the postmaster.
- A community in the northern part of the county,
Genevieve had a post office from 1916 to 1942.
- Named after Glasgow, Scotland. Established in 1887.
Glasgow is the county seat of Valley County.
Glentana - Named for a nearby Glen, with tana
for Montana. The post office was established in 1913.
Gold Medal - near Nashua, post office 1916-1917 with Philip Edman as postmaster.
- appropriately named, grain was a "homesteader" post office
- A station on the Great Northern Railroad in 1887,
the post office was established in 1891.
- Now Bainville in present day Roosevelt County, Kenneth
was a post office from 1902-1904.
Kintyre - A
station on the Great Northern Railroad in 1887.
Larb - Post
office from 1919-1933.
Larslan - Post Office established in 1918.
Lenox - A station on the Great Northern railroad in 1887.
Lismas - Post Office from 1903 to 1920. A ferry crossing on the
North shore of the Missouri, the site is now below Fort Peck Lake.
Lustre - Post Office established in 1917.
Meharry - in the northwest corner of the county close to the
Canadian border, Meharry post office was in operation
from 1920 to 1937.
McCone City - Post office from 1935 to 1941. Founded in
1934 as a labor town for Fort Peck Dam. At it's peak, it had an estimated population of 3,600
people. The town was located on the south side of the Missouri River, in McCone
Fork - A post office from 1913 to 1914, Tena Buchland was postmaster.
Milk River - A station on the Great Northern railroad in
name was changed to Wiota and a Post Office in
operation from 1918 to 1920.
Monota - A post office from 1911 to 1913,
Monota is in present day Sheridan County, near the
North Dakota border.
Nashua - From an Indian name meaning "Meeting of the
Founded by Charles C. Sargent.
Established in 1888.
- With a post office from 1899 to 1902, Newberg is in
present day Phillips County, north of Malta.
New Deal - Post office from 1935 to 1943. Founded in
1934 as a labor town for the Fort Peck Dam project.
Opheim - Named after Alfred S. Ophiem,
an early settler. Post Office established in 1912.
- Established in 1896. Named for Oswego, New York.The
post office closed in 1971.
- The first Post office was established in 1913, the
town was Platted in 1925.
Roanwood - Post
office from 1914 to 1926. Theodore Rosholt was the first postmaster..
- Post office established in 1892. Saco is in present day Phillips County, near
the border of Valley County.
Marie - A community established at the former Glasgow Air Force Base.
Stockholm - A station on the Great Northern railroad in
Tampico - A station on the Great Northern railroad in 1887. Post office established in
1908 and closed 1n 1973.
- Near Ophiem, a post office operated here from 1914
Thoeney - Named for Jack Thoeney, the
first postmaster. Established in 1914, the post office was in operation until
Tobison - Post
office from 1916 until 1933.
- A station on the Great Northern established in 1887. Post Office Established
- Post office established at Kerr's Cow Camp in 1914. It was discontinued in
Whately - A
station on the Great Northern railroad in 1887.
Wheeler - Founded in 1934 as a labor town for Fort Peck Dam. named
after Burton K. Wheeler, senator of Montana. At it's peak, Wheeler boasted 3,500 people. The post
office was in operation from 1935 to 1953.
Return to the Valley County home page.
This page was last
updated on 3 October 2015. It was created on 5 April 2009 by Daniel Shurtliff.