Billings City Buildings
Revised 5 February 2002
Some of the more prominent buildings constructed before 1930 are shown
below. These photographs were extracted from the City Directories and related documents
retained by the YGF. For businesses on Montana Avenue, see Buildings.
The NPR track runs through the town at an angle of about 55 degrees, and is
between Montana Avenue
and Minnesota Avenue.
These were the “prime” locations for business development in 1882. The original
townsite (platted 1881) is divided into Southside
& Northside by the track. The Montana Prime
Meridian runs through the “offset” junction the townsite
separating Section 33 and Section 3 (not shown). John Alderson’s land (Coulson)
was directly adjacent to the west edge of Section 33. The phantom lot marks
shown to the right (east) of the plat are actually on John Alderson’s land. The
Billing’s Townsite Company tried to purchase 40 acres from him to incorporate
the planned development of Billings,
but he refused their offer. Eventually the Coulson town was lost.
The Burlington track, which came into being about 1887, initially ran
through the town along 5th Avenue North.
Preston Moss’ residence (1906) on Yellowstone Avenue and Division Street.
Monument marker at Boothill
Yellowstone County Coordinator