Extracted from the original hand written
field notes of deLacy’s survey of Clark’s Fork Bottom in 1878.
County Office Files)
General Description (Tp 1S 26E)
W.W. deLacy Field Notes. Oct
“This fractional township is situated at the Eastern end of Clark’s
Fork Bottom. It is bounded on the South and East by the Yellowstone
River which has been navigated by a
steamer in 1877 to a point within this township and a little above the town of Coulson.
The land is partly bench and partly bottom land. All of which is 1st
rate land, on which have been grown vegetables of all kinds. There are several
settlers in the Township who are acquiring farms. The only timber in the
township is Cottonwood along the banks of the River and
on the Islands I numbered. The lands are agricultural.”
“On the South boundary of Section 34 (Tp 1N, Rn 26E) McAdows Saw Mill at Coulson bears North 44 ¼ E (4. 90
chains distance = 323.4 ft) and house at Coulson bears North 38 ¾ E.” The Section BaseLine
is at 45 deg 47 min North, and forms the bottom border
for the section. This places the saw mill in the SE corner of the land, near
the river’s edge.” McAdow’s Desert Land Claim.
house faces north about 3.00 chains (198 ft) from river. Taylor’s
house is at 3.00 chains distant from river.
General Description (Tp 1N 26E) W. W. DeLacy Field Notes. Oct 17, 1878.
“This line (Baseline) passes over the East end of Clark’s
Fork Bottom, supposed to be the head of navigation on the Yellowstone.
The land is of first rate quality and there are several settlers in the
Township South. It should therefore be sub divided. The Township North of this
line embraces the town of Coulson
and some good land and should be sub divided.”
A sandstone slab 18x18x4 to12” buried about a foot in the
ground typically marked corners of adjoining Sections, and a mound of earth was
raised over it to a height of 2 to 2 ½ feet, with a 4 ½ ft base on each side.
If land couldn’t be dug, a stone palisade marker was
raised. Other markers were trees or posts when either these two methods failed.
De Lacy notes, page 49:
“Tree marked by steamer “Josephine” bears N 50 links distant
(33 feet west of his fence on east side of property. Places
it below Cochran’s house about same distance. There was no lake on the
property in 1878.). The highest point ascended to by steamboats. Cochran’s
house lies North of tree 4.00 links. Leave timber at
end of River.” [Oct 22, 1878]
lying partly in Sec’s 16, 20 and 21. Note: The main stream of the river passes
on the south side of the island.
De Lacy Section Map, T1S R26E, Oct
“+Highest point recorded by
Steamboat 1877.” Noted and positioned on the map at the location noted above
for “Josephine.” There is no mention of day or month. The river channel is
equally narrow and confined within its banks throughout its passage through the
section. This confinement condition exists on the adjacent maps until upstream
at Duck Creek; where the channel becomes chopped into many pieces, making it
very difficult, if not impossible, to traverse.