Rosebud County History
In 1806, Captain William Clark of the Lewis and Clark Expedition, traveled through what is now Rosebud County, Montana. As pioneers, explorers and settlers traveled west searching for a better life traveled westward into Montana and in 1901 the county of Rosebud was formed.
The presence of the Northern Pacific and Milwaukee railroads not only helped define the early settlement of Forsyth, the county seat, but the community of Colstrip and coal mining, and the north side as well. While the Milwaukee ran north, the Northern Pacific completed a spur line from Forsyth to Colstrip for the purpose of operating a coal mine to fuel the trains. The inaugural mine opened in 1925 and years later was sold to Montana Power Company.
The existing courthouse was completed January 5, 1914. It was at the time a controversial and epic endeavor. The county constituents voted in favor of bonds to complete the project. Made of sandstone, the courthouse is a treasured landmark.
While industrialization has played
a significant role in the development of Rosebud County, the land
and its agricultural base have proven to be the roots. Livestock
production, including cattle, sheep and horses, has played a
significant role in the agricultural operations of the county. In
short time, early irrigation techniques provided methods for crop
production which vastly increased the livestock capacity. The
Yellowstone River valley assists in producing an abundance of
irrigated crops, and the remainder of the county offers prime
grassland for cattle production and areas of dry land farming as
This brief history is from They Came and Stayed: Rosebud County
More Rosebud County History
Battle June 17, 1876 -- Sioux & Cheyenne Indians vs US Cavalry & Infantry
Cheyenne Indian History