December 24, 1944 - May 22, 1985
    Victoria Veronica Sadlowski, 40, of Corvallis, died Wednesday from injuries received in an automobile accident at Bear Creek Tail Road near Victor. She was born December 29, 1944 in Elizabeth, NJ, the daughter of Matthew and Victoria Sadlowski, and was raised and schooled at Edison, NJ.
    She is survived by two sons, Steven S. Gronbach, Blairstown, NJ, and Erik E. Gronbach, Victor; her mother, Victoria Sadlowski, Edison, NJ; three brothers, Richard Sadlowski, Old Bridge, NJ, Casey Sadlowski, Howell, NJ, and Robert Sadlowski, Edison; two sisters, Regina Sachoefer, Bricktown, NJ, and Maryann Sadlowski, Edison. Memorial services will be conducted Tuesday at 10:30 a.m. at Dowling Funeral Home with the Rev. Raymond Gilmore officiating. Cremation has taken place.
Abstract from the Ravalli Republic, May 28, 1985, page 2

August 31, 1826 - April 10, 1903
D. Salisbury, aged about 77 years, died at 6 p.m. last Friday, April 10th, 1903, at his home on Three Mile and was buried in Three Mile Cemetery on the Saturday following. He was an old timer and much respected by everybody. He was at one time in the marine service of the United States.
Northwest Tribune, Stevensville, Montana, Friday, 17 April 1903, page 3, column 1

August 7, 1890 - December 31, 1963
    Funeral service will be Friday afternoon at 2 o'clock at Dowling chapel for Elmer L. Sargent of Darby who died unexpectedly at his home Tuesday, December 31. Elder Donald Spillman will officiate and interment will be in Lone Pine cemetery.
    Elmer Lee Sargent was born August 7, 1890 in Council Bluffs, Iowa. He married Esther Marie Shockley April 12, 1914 at Darby with Rev. George A. White officiating and witnesses being Dewitt McLaughlin and Blanche McKinney.
    Surviving are sons Francis and LeRoy at Darby; sisters Mrs. Ernest (Sadie) Barklow, Joliet, Illinois; Mrs. Clyde (Myrtle) Matchett, Olympia, Washington; a brother, Harley Sargent, Hamilton; and five grandchildren.
Extract from: The Western News, January 1, 1964

February 16, 1926 - December 31, 1996
    Donald L. Sawyer, 70, of Woodside, died Tuesday December 31, 1996, at the Valley View Estates in Hamilton. He was born February 16, 1926 in Portland, Oregon, the son of Elmer and Altha Roberts Sawyer.
    Surviving are his children; brothers, sisters; grandchildren; and great grandchildren. Arrangements are under the direction of the Daly-Leach Chapel and Crematory in Hamilton.
Abstract from the Ravalli Republic, January 3, 1997

January 21, 1897 - June 11, 1967
Elmer A. Sawyer Taken by Death At Daly Hospital Sunday, June 11
    Funeral services were held this afternoon at the Dowling chapel for Elmer A. Sawyer, 70, of Hamilton, who died at Daly hospital Sunday at 4:20 a.m. Pastor Henry Frye officiated and interment was in Riverview Cemetery. Pallbeareres were Dan Hildebrand, Frank Benson, Joe Patzer, George Wilson, George Palin, and Ozzie Back.
    Elmer Alvin Sawyer was born January 21, 1897 in Ayrshire, Iowa, He lived in the Hamilton area for about 30 years. He was a farmer.
    Surviving are sons Donald and Charles, Saugus, California; Robert and Stanley, Semi, California; Michael, Hamilton; daughters, Mrs. Nadine Ross, San Fernando, California, and Mrs. Norma Johnson, Warm Springs.
The Western News, June 14, 1967

June 18, 1914 - March 3, 1996
    Emily E. Schumacher, 81, of Hamilton, died Sunday, March 3, 1996, at Marcus Daly Memorial Hospital. She was born June 18, 1914 in Essexville, MI, the daughter of the late John and Delia Willette.
    Surviving are a son and daughter-in-law, Bob and Sarah Schumacher of Hamilton; a grandson and a granddaughter.
Services will be Thursday morning at St. Johns Church in Essexville, MI. Interment will follow in the Calvary Cemetery under the direction of the Squire Funeral Home.
    Local arrangements are under the direction of the Daly-Leach Chapel.
Ravalli Republic, March 5, 1996

August 20, 1873 - August 18, 1959
    Funeral services will be Friday at 2 p.m. at the Corvallis Community Church for C.F. Schwab, Corvallis farmer who died Tuesday, August 18 at 5:30 p.m. at Daly Hospital after a long illness. Rev. Gerald Meyer will officiate and interment will be in Corvallis cemetery.
    Charles Frederick Schwab was born August 20, 1873 at Rockport, Missouri and came to Montana at the age of 9 with his family. His parents were Jonas and Mary Schwab. A sister, Effie, died during the trip to Montana by covered wagon, at the age of 2 from diphtheria.
    He married Mable M. Fitch, former Corvallis teacher, at Ludington, Michigan, November 11, 1920 and they have made their home north of Corvallis about 1 1/2 miles since. Mr. Schwab's mother, who died at the age of 91, was blind nearly 25 years and during that time, he wrote quite a bit of good poetry for her.
    Survivors include the widow; son Rev. Richard Schwab, pastor of the Burke Ave. Chapel, Seattle; daughter Mrs. John S. (Melda) Ludlow, Mill Valley, California; sister Mrs. Randall Kellam, Sacramento, California; grandchildren Ann Louise, Timothy, Mary Schwab and Lynn, Conrad, and Roger Ludlow.
Extract from: The Western News, August 20, 1959
September 9, 1845 -  February 8, 1938
Ninety-Two-Year-Old Corvallis Lady Passed Tuesday; Rites Today From Home of Her Son
    Mrs. Mary Genevieve Schwab, aged ninety two years, passed away about 11:15 o’clock Tuesday morning at the home of her son, Charles F. Schwab, north of Corvallis Mrs. Schwab had been in declining health of late. Without her eyesight for a number of years, the aged lady had resided with her sons at Corvallis and Stevensville. Funeral services will be held at 10:30 o’clock this morning at the Charles Schwab residence, Rev. Ray Ames, conducting the rites. Internment will be in Corvallis cemetery.
    Mrs. Schwab was born September 9, 1845, in Prague, Bohemia. She came to the United States when she was 11 years of age. She had been a resident of the Corvallis community for the past 51 years. Her husband Jonas Schwab passed away 30 years ago. Surviving relatives include a sister, Mrs. Theresa Taylor of Balenstine, Neb., three sons, George H. Schwab of Stevensville, Charles F. Schwab of Corvallis and Lee D. Schwab of Alberton and a daughter, Mrs. Anna S. Kellam of Sacramento, Cal
Ravalli Republican, February 9, 1938
Contributed by Corvallis Community Heritage Project

May 8, 1903 - June 23, 1970
Former Valley Resident Passes Away
    Word has been received by Mrs. Guy McClung of the death of her sister-in-law, Mrs. George Schweitzer, about, 67, formerly of Victor, Monday night at her home in Thompson Falls. She married George Schweitzer of Victor in the late 1920’s and taught for a time at the old Curlew country school north of Victor. She later taught at Victor, Etna, Clinton, Plains, and Noxon. She ws forced to give up her teaching position at Noxon High School about two years ago after being injured in a fall from a horse.
    Mrs. Schweitzer is survived by her husband, George, a the family home in Thompson Falls; one daughter, Mrs. Juan Mackenstadt in southern California, and sister, Mrs. Lorna Graves Larson in California. One brother, Ralph Graves preceded her in death. Funeral arrangements are pending.
Ravalli Republic, June 22, 1970

October 19, 1903 - December 23, 2002
    George Henry Schweitzer, 99, of Missoula, and longtime Victor resident, died on Monday, Dec. 23, 2002, at the Heritage Home South assisted living facility. George was born Oct. 19, 1903, in Victor, the second of seven siblings of James Monroe and Freida Schweitzer. He completed high school in Victor then worked there on the family farm while also driving a horse-drawn school wagon delivering 35-40 elementary-aged children to school and home again each day. It was while driving the school wagon that he met his future bride, Erma Graves, who was a young high school English teacher. They married Dec. 28, 1926.
    In 1955, they moved to Plains, where Erma taught and George worked for Diehl Lumber Company. Upon retirement, they lived in Thompson Falls, then Plains again; and after Erma's death in 1970, George moved back to Victor. Approximately five years ago, George moved to the Missoula Manor, where he lived independently until this past summer.
    He was preceded in death by his wife, Erma, and his six brothers and sisters, Margaret Johnson, Louise McClung, Eda Slack, Helen McDonough, Walt Schweitzer, and Bob Schweitzer, Sr. Survivors include his daughter, Jo, and her husband, Bob Mackenstadt, as well as numerous nieces and nephews.
    At George's request, there will be no services. However, there will be a family celebration of his life later in the spring. Memorials may be sent in George's name to the Victor School Foundation, Farmers State Bank, c/o Belle Burlington, P.O. Box 190, Victor, Mont., 59875.
    As his great nephew said, "The only thing bigger than Uncle George's hands was his heart."
Abstract from the Ravalli Republic, January 9, 2002

August 2, 1918 - March 12, 1971
R. Schweitzer, 53, Victor Native, Died in Plains
    Funeral services were held on Monday at the Victor Federated church for Robert Schweitzer, 53, who died Friday in Plains. Burial was in Victor Cemetery. The Squire-Simmons-Carr Funeral Home was in charge.
    Mr. Schweitzer was born August 2 1918 at Victor, son of J.M. and Frieda Gesheider Schweitzer. In 1940 his marriage to Winifred Bridges took place in Great Falls. he was a WWII veteran and member of Operating Engineers Local 371. They lived in Missoula many years where he was a bus driver and heavy equipment mechanic.
    Surviving, beside the widow, are four sons and a daughter; brothers, George and Walter; three sisters, and two grandchildren. Mrs. Guy (Louise) McClung of Victor, Mrs. Herb (Eda) Slack of Dillon and Mrs. John (Helen) McDonough, Spirit Lake, Idaho are sisters.
The Western News, March 17, 1971
February 2, 1882 - August 20, 1950
    George Lewis Scott died at Daly Memorial Hospital at midnight Sunday, August 20. With the passing from this world of George Scott, the ranks of the real old time Bitter Rooters is further diminished as he first came to the Bitter Root in 1899.
    Funeral services were conducted yesterday afternoon at two o'clock in the Dowling chapel in Hamilton with Rev. Richard R. Price of St. Paul's Episcopal church officiating. Burial was made in Riverview cemetery. Those who served as pallbearers were F.M. Morse, C.H. Carroll, W.L. Perrior, E.M. Bray, Stephen Zimmerman, and J.B. Lotspelch.
    George Lewis Scott was born February 2, 1882 at Dixon, Illinois. He was married at Hamilton, June 12, 1907, to Ethel Wylie of this city. The widow survives. Also surviving are their two children: Mrs. Ben Oertli of Hamilton, and George Wylie Scott of Missoula. There are two grandsons, George Davis Scott and John Roger Scott, both of Missoula, and a half-brother, Bert Pierson, of Benicia, California to also survive.
Extract from: The Western News, August 24, 1950

October 29, 1889 - May 17, 1959
    Death claimed Mrs. E.E. Scott Sunday, May 17 at Daly hospital after a week's illness.  Mrs. Scott became ill at her home with a heart attack the week before her death and entered the hospital May 11. She was in critical condition from two subsequent heart attacks on last Wednesday, but y the end of the week her condition had seemingly improved and she was thought to be recovering when she suddenly expired Sunday morning. Funeral services for the loved Corvallis matron were Wednesday afternoon at Dowling chapel. Rev. Jesse Dove officiated and interment followed in Corvallis Cemetery. The ritual of the OES honored her at the rites. Pallbearers were Fred Hanson, Gilbert Chaffin, Ray Morris, Lloyd Stevens, James Black, and Quentin Stiner.
    Loretta B. Bailey was born October 29, 1889 at Cobb, WI, the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Josephus Bailey. Her late father was a pioneer to Montana territory near Civil War times but he returned to Wisconsin. Miss Bailey attended school and was graduated from high school at River Falls, WI and attended State Teachers College there. She taught at Athens, WI and White Rock, SD before coming to Corvallis in 1913 where she taught English in high school.
    She was married in Missoula, July 8, 1914, to Ernest Edgar Scott. She was a Gold Star mother, their son, Edgar Bailey Scott lost his life in the Pacific near Formosa in 1945 while serving in the air force during the second world war. Also preceding her in death was her brother Winfield Scott Bailey of Corvallis who died May 31, 1951 and is buried in Corvallis Cemetery.
    After their marriage, the Scotts lived for a time in Corvallis,were for a time at the Alford place north of Corvallis and lived at the place now owned by John Zito for many years. The present home at Willow Grove is about two miles south of Corvallis.
    Mrs. Scott was a member of Corvallis Chapter 59, Order of Eastern Star for many years, held all of the offices of the Corvallis American Legion auxiliary, was president at the time of her death of the Community church Ladies Aid, was a member of the Four O'Clock Garden club, a past president and , until her death, an active member of the Womans Club, a member of the All Star club, and secretary of the Ravalli County Federation of Womens clubs. She was outstanding in arranging programs for groups she belonged to and her services were in constant demand.
    Survivors include the widower; daughters Mrs. Marvin (Jean) Thompson, Compton, CA, Mrs Larry (Georgia) Holt, Missoula, Mrs. Dean (Phyllis) Hughes, Hermosa Beach, CA; grandchildren Neil, Lucinda, and Jan Holt, and Ricky Thompson; a sister Mrs. Edith Walters, Pacific Grove, CA; a brother Vern Bailey, Spokane; and sister-in-law, Mrs.W.S. Bailey, Corvallis.
    Mr. Bailey came from Spokane for the services and all of the daughters and their families were here except Mr. Hughes.

    Words cannot adequate express the high esteem and love for her in the hearts of the many friends of Mrs. Scott. She had the ability to live life to the fullest, to minimize her troubles and to always present a cheerful outlook on life. She gave generously of her competent services always, her niche will be hard to fill. She has a host of friends who will miss her and who join in offering condolences to her family.
The Western News, May 21, 1959
Contributed by Karolyn Simpson  
March 31, 1882 - June 21, 1962
    Funeral services were Monday at the Dowling chapel for E.E. Scott of Hamilton, a longtime Corvallis area farmer. Mr. Scott had suffered from diabetes and had an attack at his home after arising Thursday morning, June 21. A physician was called but Mr. Scott failed to respond to treatment. Interment was in Corvallis Cemetery beside the grave of his wife, Loretta, who died May 17, 1959. Father Carl Lemm-Marugg officiated at the rites and pallbearers were Alvin Clark, Fred Hanson, Ray Morris, Dudley Bowden, Lloyd Stevens, and Claris Glidewell.
    Ernest Edgar Scott was born on March 31, 1882 in Promise City, IA. He came to Montana in 1912 and worked at the Bowden Mercantile in Corvallis until his marriage to Loretta B. Bailey July 8, 1914 at Missoula. They moved to the Alford place north of Corvallis and then farmed on the place now owned by Zitos for many years. After leaving there, they lived at Willow Grove, about halfway between Corvallis and Hamilton on the east side road. After Mrs. Scott's death, he moved from that place to Hamilton in 1960. He owned several pieces of real estate in Hamilton.
    Surviving are daughters Mrs. Marvin (Jean) Thompson, Paramount, CA, Mrs. Larry (Georgia) Hold, Mrs. Phyllis Hughes, both of Missoula. A son, Edgar Bailey Scott, preceded his parents in death. There are four grandchildren; a sister Mrs. Maud Wells, Fairmont, OK; a brother Claude Scott, Topeka,  KS. The grandchildren are Rick Thompson, Neil, Lucinda, and Jan Holt. Mrs. Thompson and Rick came from California for the rites.
The Western News, June 28, 1962
Contributed by Karolyn Simpson

    Hope is held out that Lt. Edgar B. Scott of Corvallis may still turn up all right is found in a letter received during the past week by Mr. and Mrs. E.E. Scott, parents of the lost flyer. The communication is dated March 25 and signed by Capt. Jarvis A. Tew. It refers to a letter written February 5 by Major Robt. H. Smith, commander of the squadron of which Edgar is a member. That letter has not yet been received by Mr. and Mrs. Scott. Lt. Scott was reported lost as of January 31 when, for the fifth time, a plane was shot out from under him. The letter referred to, follows in pertinent part:
    "Edgar was over Formosa 31 January on a Strafing mission and one of the engines of his P-38 was damaged by anti-aircraft fire. He started for home with only one engine operating and 90 miles south of Formosa that engine failed and he bailed out. He landed successfully in the water and other pilots in the squadron circled over him and he waved from his rubber boat indicating that he was not injured. Our pilots called for a Catalina flying boat to come to Scotty's rescue and one responded but was not able to land in the water because of extremely high waves. The same condition prevailed the next day and, although your boy was observed from the air, the flying boat was not able to land. When it became apparent that no aircraft could land in the heavy seas, it was decided to dispatch a submarine and a destroyer. This was done, but to date, we have received no work that your boy as been picked up. It is possible that it will be some time before any work is received because of an advanced combat base there are certain unavoidable delays in communication which are caused by the tactical situation. When last sighted, Scotty was drifting toward the China coast. I feel that there is an excellent possibility that he will be rescued and I am hoping for the good news at any time."
The Western News, April 19, 1945

    Headquarters, 13th AAF, Philipines. A Corvallis, Montana, P-38 Lightning pilot, Lieutenant Edgar B. Scott, who has been missing in action since an early February raid on Formosa, has been awarded a Bronze Oak Leaf Cluster to his Air Medal for action over the Jap-held Halmahera Islands in September, 1944.
    The citation for the decoration for the Jungle Air Force fighter stated:
"For meritorious achievement while participating in an aerial flight over the Halmahera Islands on September 19, 1944. This officer, flying in a formation of 12 P-38's, was participating in a search for enemy shipping at reduced speed and at altitude of 500 feet when accurate enemy anti-aircraft fire suddenly burst out from the coast directly ahead. Although the squadron commander immediately led the airplanes in a turn, meanwhile employing evasive action, Lieutenant Scott followed his flight leader (Captain George S. Weart of Chicago) down in a deliberate attempt to attract the guns and protect the balance of the formation. When the strafing run had been completed, the enemy batteries were silenced. Lieutenant Scott, with his flight leader, then strafed a small cargo vessel lying just off shore and left it burning fiercely.
    The courage and devotion to duty displayed by Lieutenant Scott are worthy of commendation."
Lieutenant Scott's parents, mr. and Mrs. E.E. Scott, live in Corvallis. The Corvallis fighter flew with Brigadier General Earl W. Barnes 13th AAF Fighter command's Dirty Dozen P-38 Lightning unit.
The Western News, April 19, 1945
Contributed by Karolyn Simpson

July 1, 1854 - July 30, 1927
Services Conducted By Odd Fellows on Monday
First Came to the Bitter Root Valley Forty-Six Years Ago and Later Moved to Plains
    Funeral services were held Monday afternoon for Isaac Sears, pioneer Montana freighter whose death occurred Saturday morning. A song service at the Dowling chapel was followed by the ritual service of the Odd Fellows’ lodge at the grave. Mr. Sears had been a member of the order for 25 years. The hymns, “Beautiful Isle” and “Nearer My God to Thee,” were sung by Mrs. G.A. Gordon and Mrs. J.C. Conkey with Miss Mary Monroe at the organ. Burial was in Riverview cemetery.
    Mr. Sears first came to the Bitter Root valley in 1881 and seven years later moved to Plains, where he continued to live until this spring when he returned to Hamilton to be near his daughters, Mrs. A.E. Shappee and Mrs. H.A. Chambers. Relatives who came from other towns to attend the last rites were his sons, Philip and Alfred Sears, and their wives; his daughter and son-in-law, mr. and Mrs. George Stevens, all residing at Plains, and a grandson, Leland Colwell of Wallace, Idaho. They returned to their homes yesterday.
Ravalli Republican, August 4, 1927, page 1

October 20, 1885 - February 1, 1932
Passed Most of His Life in Bitter Root Valley
Funeral Services Were Held at the Dowling Chapel Yesterday By Rev. H.J. Frame
    Isaac Sears died at his home here Monday after a long illness. He was 46 years of age and had spent most of his life in the Bitter Root valley, coming here with his parents in 1887. His wife, two daughters, Mary and Pauline, and a son, Gordon, survive with his brothers, Ed Sears of Oakland, California, William of St. Regis, Frank of Plains, and George of Hamilton, and two sisters, Mrs. Ida Atchinson of Spokane and Mrs. Hettie Johnson of Independence, Missouri.
    Mr. Sears returned to Hamilton last summer after living several years at Sand Coulee and Missoula. He lived two years at Hot Springs. His early life was spent in the Woodside community and he attended the Corvallis Schools. He was an electrician by trade and for a time was employed by the Montana Power Company at Missoula.
    Funeral services were held by Rev. H.J. Frame at the Dowling funeral home yesterday at 2 o'clock. Burial was in the Sears Family plot in the Corvallis Cemetery. Mrs. Anna Shappee and Mrs. H.A. Chambers of Hamilton are cousins of Mr. Sears.
Ravalli Republican, February 4, 1932

September 17, 1849 - April 28, 1906
     Word was received here yesterday of the death of John Sears last Saturday night at Leavenworth, Kansas.  Mrs. Sears was with her husband when the end came.  She started Sunday for Woodside with the remains.  The funeral will probably be held tomorrow at Corvallis under the auspices of the Masonic Order.
     Mr. Sears was one of the best known ranchers of the Bitter Root valley having resided for many years near Woodside.  A couple of years ago he purchased a home in Missoula and has resided there since.  Failing in health he went to Leavenworth to consult a specialist.  Heart trouble was the cause of death.  Mr. Sears is survived by a wife, several children, all grown, and a brother, Isaac Sears of Plains."
The Western News, May 2, 1906

    Funeral services will be held Saturday afternoon at two o'clock in the Dowling Chapel for Harry Seelye who died in Daly hospital about three o'clock Wednesday  morning. Rev. Charles Miller will officiate and interment will be made in Riverview Cemetery.
    The deceased was born at Centralia, Illinois and had lived in the Bitter Root for the past nine years coming here from Forsyth, Montana. He was 57 years of age. Before entering the hospital, he resided at Grantsdale and previously had lived in Hamilton and at Woodside.
    Surviving the deceased are five sisters and two brothers, none of whom live in Montana. They are Mrs. Frances Wardell, Mrs. Fred Diehn, Mrs. E. Tally, Mrs. Mattie Craig, Mrs. Lottie Sunkel, and brothers, George and Charles
The Western News, May 16, 1940, page 1

1893 - June 10, 1929
Teacher Dies of Wound - Funeral tomorrow
Death, the relentless Harvester of life, paused for a moment Monday just before midnight to claim Othel Severns, 36 year old Corvallis school teacher, who was fatally wounded the night of Wednesday, May 29, while driving her Chevrolet coupe past the Ravalli County Fair Grounds north of Hamilton.
    Bravely fighting, the young woman lived just 12 days after being mortally shot in the back. Attendants in Hamilton Hospital, as well as the young lady’s family, had become very much encouraged by the fight the teacher was making and the remarkably efficient surgical care given her following the shooting. The entire community united with the family in fervent hope that the injury would be overcome and danger of infection resulting from the terrible slashing course of the bullet seemed to be about over when tetanus set and, despite three different inoculations of tetanus antitoxin, death resulted. The tetanus poisoning developed was of but a mild form but the resistance of the patient was at so low an ebb that she could not overcome it. She was conscious until death. Her mother was at her side when death came.
    Funeral services will be held Friday at two o’clock at the Masonic Temple under the auspices of the O.E.S. to which Mrs. Severns belonged. The body will be taken to Seattle for interment being accompanied by the mother and a sister.
    Tetanus is a painful and often fatal infectious disease, caused by specific bacillus, and marked by tonic spasms of several or all of the voluntary muscles. When confined to the muscles of the lower jaw, usually the part first affected, it is called lockjaw or trismus. It takes various names from the various incurvations of the body resulting from the spasm. It is often contracted through infection of wounds.
    An autopsy on the body of Mrs. Othel Severns was performed at Dowling’s Mortuary Chapel Tuesday afternoon. The bullet, a battered slug about the size of a nickel, was located in the lower abdomen and extracted. The autopsy was performed by Dr. Herbert Hayward, county physician, and Dr. George McGrath. Those present included Coroner John Dowling, County Attorney, H.C. Packer, Court Reporter, H.E. Jones and nurses: Mrs. Laura Geick and Mrs. Hazel Young, and Miss Esther Holland.
The Western News, June 13, 1929

Reward offered for Mrs. Severns' Slayer
    The county commissioners of Ravalli county announced last week that a $500 reward would be paid for the arrest and conviction of the party who shot Mrs. Othel Severns, on the night of May 29th, as she was driving near the Fair Grounds at Hamilton. Mrs. Severns was passing in her car when, as she stated, some one commanded her to halt. She speeded up her car and was shot from the rear with a high power gun, the bullet passing through the spare tire, the back of the car and piercing her body. The bullet passed through her intestines causing her death some 12 days later.
    Sheriff stokes claims that he was stationed a mile or so farther north where he was watching for a stolen car which had been reported. He heard a car coming and as it passed some one was creaming. He followed and found the wounded woman. He returned with her to the hospital. since that time no clew has been uncovered as to who did the shooting.
Northwest Tribune, Thursday, July 11, 1929

January 5, 1873 - April 28, 1969
Mrs. Shaffer, 96, Former Florence Resident Died In St. Ignatius
Funeral services were held May 1 at 2 p.m. at the Whitesitt chapel in Stevensville for Mrs. W.G. Shaffer, 96, who died April 28th at St. Ignatius after a four-hear period of failing health. Burial was in Maplewood cemetery, Stevensville. Mrs. Anna Prince was organist and Mrs. Don Wallace soloist. Rev. Loy Estes officiated. The pallbearers were Orville Hendrickson, Melvin Hendrickson, Ross Porter, LeRoy Holden, Kenneth Holden and Homer Brown. Mrs. Shaffer was a charter member of the Florence Rebakah lodge and ritual of that order honored her.
    Martha Burton was born January 5, 1873 in Kansas. After her mother’s death, she moved with her father via covered wagon to the Bonita area where the family lived with relatives. In 1877, they moved to Florence. She married W.G. Shaffer in 1889 and homesteaded in the eight Mile area, later moving back to Florence.
    Mr. Shaffer died September 29, 1928. Daughters Octavia Holden, Hazel Brown and Inez Hendrickson, also preceded their mother in death. Mrs. Shaffer had 226 living descendants: two daughters and a son, 35 grandchildren, 88 great grandchildren, 101 great great grandchildren, two great great great grandchildren.
The Western News, May 7, 1969

May 19, 1930 - June 30, 1973
Services To Be Held Thursday Afternoon For R.L. Sherrill
Funeral services for R.L. Sherrill are to be held at Dowling Chapel Thursday afternoon and will be conducted by Brother James Butler who comes from Florida for the purpose. Burial will be made in Riverview Cemetery, Hamilton.
Mr. Sherrill passed away June 30 in Hamilton. He was born May 19, 1930 at Melbourne, Ark, and is survived by his wife, six sons, and two daughters.
Western News, July 4, 1973, page 2

April 7, 1888 - September 3, 1966
Mrs. Guy Sickels Died Suddenly At Missoula, Funeral Rites Held Today
    Mrs. Guy Sickels, 78, Corvallis, died suddenly Saturday afternoon, September 3 at the home of her son, Homer ‘Sickels, 536 Livingston, Missoula. Funeral services were held today at the Corvallis Community church with Rev. E.J Ruff officiating. Burial was made in Corvallis cemetery.
    Verga Ivan DeVore ws born in St. Joseph, MO, to Mary and David Devore April 7, 1888. She was united in married to Guy Sickels September 29, 1907 in Athelston, Iowa. They lived there for several years until 1914 when they moved to what is now McCone County, Montana, and homesteaded south of Wolf Point. She was active in community affairs and was instrumental in organizing the first rural Sunday school south of Wolf Point. In 1941, the couple moved to the Corvallis area where she since resided.
    She was preceded in death by her husband October 11, 1861 and by one son, Ralph, July 27, 1952. Surviving are three daughters, Ruth Kao of Whitefish, Mary McFarlane of Wolf Point, Thelma Cooper of Bremerton, Washington; two sons, Everett of Great Falls and Homer, Missoula; 25 grandchildren and 35 great grandchildren. Also surviving are two sisters in Gillette, Wyoming and one brother in Colorado Springs, Colorado.
    Mrs. Sickels was a member of the Corvallis Community church and her cheerful disposition will be missed by all who knew her. Funeral arrangements are by Squire Simmons Carr mortuary in Missoula.
The Western News, September 7, 1966

May 6, 1915 - August 1, 1978
Fred L. Simmons dies in Hamilton
    Fred L. Simmons, 63, a retired police deputy and heavy equipment operator, died Tuesday in the Marcus Daly Memorial Hospital in Hamilton. He was born May 6, 1915 in Joseph, Oregon.
    He married Great B. Arnhart May 17, 1955 in Clarkston, Washington. Mr. Simmons worked in Oregon, Idaho, and moved to Montana in 1961, and retired in 1973.
    Survivors include his wife, Great, Hamilton; four daughters, Darlene Stein, Hamilton; Cookie Backen, Seattle, Wash; Doreen Zollman, Hermiston, Oregon; and Deana Nicholas, Ketchikan, Alaska; one sister, Elsie Neiman, Lewiston, Idaho; one brother, Lester, Oregon City, Oregon; 13 grandchildren; and two great grandchildren.
    Funeral services will be conducted Friday at 2 p.m. in the Dowling Chapel in Hamilton with Rev. Eugene Bartel officiating. Burial will be in the Lone Pine Cemetery in Darby.
Abstract from Ravalli Republic, August 3, 1978

August 14, 1886 - May 26, 1967
    Death claimed Homer G. Simmons at Daly Hospital May 26 after a short illness. Funeral services were held on Monday at the Dowling Chapel with interment in the family plot at Corvallis cemetery. Pastor Robert Elwell officiated and pallbearers were Leland Summers, Lawrence Applebury, John Wetzsteon, Hector Rasmussen, Alfred Simmons, and Richard Bryson.
    On August 14, 1886, Homer Gilbert Simmons was born on the homestead of his parents, Gilbert and Nancy Chaffin Simmons northeast of Corvallis on August 14, 1886. His marriage to Effie Montana Million, daughter of Guy A. and Effie M. Applebury Million, took place at Corvallis Methodist Church December 10, 1911. Their attendants were James Barr and Edith Simmon.
    Mr. and Mrs. Simmons were parents of one child, a son, George, who died while a prisoner of the Japanese during World War II. Mrs. Simmons died December 21, 1923. Mr. Simmons made his home in Hamilton in late years and was a patient at the local nursing home the past year. During his working years, he was a rancher and sheep shearer.
    Surviving is a sister, Mrs. James Barr, Corvallis; brothers Lee of Corvallis and Mason of Hamilton; cousins, nieces and nephews.
Abstract from: The Western News, May 31, 1967
September 19, 1873 - January 27, 1974
    Funeral rites for Mrs. Ella Sizer will be conducted at 2 p.m. Thursday at the Dowling Chapel with Rev. Robert Sherwood officiating. Burial will be in Riverview Cemetery.
    Mrs. Sizer died Sunday in Missoula at the age of 100. She was a former longtime Bitter Root resident. She was born September 29, 1873 in Kearney, Nebraska and was married to Fred Sizer there. They lived in Nebraska; Cheyenne, Wyoming; and the Denver area for several years before moving to Hamilton in 1918.
    Her husband was an active orchardist for many years and also engaged in the produce business. He died here in the early 1950's and his wife had resided in Missoula most of the time since his passing. She was a member of the Snappy Birthday Club.
    Survivors include three sons, Malcom of Hamilton, O.K. of Victor, and Wales of Granger, Washington; a daughter, Mrs. Lysle Chabraya of Missoula; 12 grandchildren, 30 great-grandchildren, and 16 great-great-grandchildren.
Ravalli Republic, January 29, 1974

January 21, 1908 - April 13, 1971
    Mrs. Eda Schweitzer Slack, 69, passed away in a Butte hospital wednesday morning, April 13, after a long illness. She wa born at Victor January 27, 1908, the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. J.M. Schweitzer. She was raised in Victor and graduated from Victor High School in 1924. She married Herb Slack of Corvallis at Victor.  The family lived at Victor, Butte, Missoula, and Thompson Falls. Her husband was a highway patrolman for 25 years until his retirement. They later lived at Dillon where he was employed by Western Montana College for about 10 years. Mrs. Slack was employed by Lloyd’s Restaurant at Butte for several years.
    She is survived by her husband, Herb, at the family home in Butte; two daughters, Mrs. Bobbie Lou Lehfeldt of Butte and Mrs. Gay Heyne near London, England, five grandchildren and four great grandchildren; sisters, Louise McClung at Victor, Helen McDonough of Spirit Lake, idaho, brothers, Walter of Portland, Oregon, and George of Plains. A son, one brother and one sister preceded her in death.
    Funeral services will be conducted Friday, 2 p.m. at the Wayrynan and Richards Funeral Home in Butte, with burial in Butte.
Ravalli Republic, April 15, 1971

March 28, 1879 - October 18, 1926
Jasper Slack, Pioneer, Dies from Injuries.
    The funeral of Jasper L Slack was held yesterday from the family residence. Rev. J. E. parker conducting the services. A large concourse attended. Internment was made in the Corvallis cemetery.
    Jasper L slack was born at Corvallis 57 years ago, his parents being among the first pioneers of the valley. He never married and resided with his sister, Miss Margaret Slack, and two brothers, John and William on the old family homestead just north of Corvallis, which was located by their father.
Mr. Slack and his brother john were injured in an automobile collision at Corvallis on October first. Their car turned over and the two brothers were caught in the back seat. Jaspers lung was crushed, pneumonia developed but death ensued as a result of heart failure.
The deceased possessed many of the traits of the old pioneers, was honorable in his dealings and highly respected in his community.
Contributed by Corvallis Community Heritage Project

October 12, 1868 - May 18, 1955
E.M. Smith Dies,Funeral Monday, He Developed Medicine Springs
    Yesterday about 5:30 in the afternoon, Edwin M. Smith passed away. He died at a local rest home where he ahd resided since coming to Hamilton from another rest home in Stevensville. He had been in ill health for several years. Mr. Smiths passing marks the removal from the Bitter Root scene of a familiar figure who has resided here since before the turn of the century and who was known to nearly all persons who lived in this community.
    Edwin M. Smith was born in Missouri October 12, 1868. He came to Montana locating first at Missoula, then at Stevensville and later at Hamilton. He was engaged in business in Stevensville and became a merchant in Hamilton, being manager of the Valley Mercantile implement and hardware department.
    The WN of June 9, 1897 reports as follows: “Last Wednesday evening (June 2, 1897) in the dining room of the Hotel Hamilton, Mr. Edward Smith and Miss Maude Page were united in the holy bonds of wedlock by Rev. George Stewart of Missoula, in the presence of over 150 relatives and friends. Miss Barbara Mazerall attended the charming bride and Hon. R. Lee McCulloch ws best man.”  Edwin M. Smith was usually known familiarly as “Ed” or “E.M.” which apparently led the WN news writer of ‘97 to think his name was Edward.
    The couple resided in Hamilton for a number of years but on March 11, 1908, they moved to the south end of the valle following the purchase by Mr. Smith of the famed Medicine Hot Springs, a tract of 100 acres located on Warm Springs creek, a tributary of the east fork of the Biter Root river. This tract of land was situated in the beautiful wooded valley, unscarred by woodmen at that date, and was the source of a number of hot mineral springs. Mr. Smith purchased the property from James C. and Annie Harvey and Eric Nordgren. His purchased proved a foresighted venture, as after he had developed the Springs through the erection of a hotel (later burned) and cabins and a plunge, it became a mecca for persons bent upon recreation and is today one of the foremost vacation spots in western Montana.
    Mr. Smith operated the Springs for many years but in 1943, disposed of a half-interest in the resort to the surviving son, Barton. The latter has since remodeled the plunge, erected new cabins, provided a building for groups of young people or others, and has plans for continuing his operation via other improvements.
    Mr. Smith was parent of three sons, Zean and John, deceased, and Barton, who survives his father. Others who survive are three grandchildren, a son ad a daughter of Barton, and a daughter of Zean who lives in California. There are also three surviving brothers, and one sister, all of whom reside in California. They are R.B. Smith, Lester Smith, and Harry Smith and Clara.
    Mr. Smith was a member of Ionic lodge No. 38, AF&AM. The remains are at the Dowling Funeral Home. Funeral arrangements call for holding the last rites Monday afternoon with Rev. R.R. Price officiating and interment being made in Riverview cemetery, Hamilton There will be Masonic graveside rites.
The Western News, May 19, 1955

January 8, 1896 - September 19, 1979
Homer Smith died Wednesday
    Homer M. Smith, 83, Darby, died Wednesday in the Hamilton hospital. Mr. Smith was a retired car dealer. He was born January 8, 1896 in Springfield, Illinois. He was raised and educated in Springfield and served in the Army during World War I. Following his discharge, he was a resident of Ontario, California.
    He married Helen Major in Ontario. Mr. Smith operated a car dealership for a number of years there. He has been retired for the past 25 years. Mr. Smith moved to Darby in 1973.
    Survivors include two sons, Herbert, San Jose, Calif, and Richard, Carmichael, Calif; six grandchildren and one great grandchild.
    Memorial services were Saturday at 4 p.m. in the Dowling Chapel with the Rev. Richard Moore officiating. Cremation followed
Ravalli Republic, September 24, 1979

April 11, 1892 - January 17, 1914
Suicide At Florence
John A. Smith on Saturday Blew the Top of His Head Off With Rifle
   John A. Smith, a lumber jack who lived in a tent on the bank of the Bitter Root river near Florence, committed suicide Saturday evening. Smith, who was evidently under the influence of liquor, placed the muzzle of a 303 Savage rifle under his chin and pulled the trigger, the high power gun tearing the top of his head off. The man’s body was found Tuesday by Leland Tillman, who went to the tent to go fishing with the man. The officers at Hamilton were at once notified and Sheriff See and Coroner Getty went to Florence the same day where a coroner’s inquest wa held. The coroner’s jury composed of John Gleason, William Morris, Phillip Wagner, Lee Wagner, T.C. Moore, and William Duffy, found that the man came to his death by his own hand. Smith was found in his bunk with both hands grasping the barrel of the rifle.
    According to information gathered by the officers, Smith was in Florence Saturday, leaving that town of no licensed saloons with two bottles of whiskey - a quart and a pint. The quart was found Tuesday by the officers in the tent and had been relieved of about one drink. The pint had been consumed, the empty bottle being found. Smith was a trustee of the Florence Social Club, which was closed Wednesday afternoon by Sheriff See and County Attorney James D. Taylor, following an order made by Judge R. Lee McCulloch in open court that morning. The club was complained against as a “blind pig.”
    Smith’s remains were buried in Florence. His relatives in Michigan were communicated with and ordered the remains buried in the town where he lived. He was about 60 years of age and had lived on the river bank for some time, spending part of his time with the hook and line.
Ravalli Republican, Friday, January 23, 1914

World War Veteran Dies of Spotted Fever
Newcomer to Bitter Root Valley Had Never Been Vaccinated; Military Burial Here Tuesday
    Richard W. Smith, World War veteran, died early Saturday morning at the Daly Hospital, where he had been a patient since the day before, suffering from spotted fever. Mr. Smith's illness was discovered a few days earlier by his friends, Mr. and Mrs. D.F. Kohner, who took him to their home on the former Sullenger ranch. Friday they brought him to the hospital. He had never been inoculated with spotted fever vaccine.
    Mr. Smith came to this section of the Bitter Root Valley about 2 months ago and he was associated with Mr. Kohner in the sheep business. He had spent most of the past 30 years in eastern Montana and his enlistment in the World War was made at Baker in 1918. He served a year overseas as a private with the 103d field artillery, receiving his discharge on May 21, 1919, at Fort George Wright in Washington, where he had been in a veterans' camp for apart of the past year. He was born at Fitchburg, Massachusetts June 20, 1884, and was in his 55th year. Mr. Smith had never married and his only known relative was a niece, Gertrude Gilbertson, in Connecticut.
    Funeral services were conducted by Rev.C.R. Miller Tuesday afternoon at the Dowling Chapel. Military tribute was paid by Veterans of Foreign Wars and the American Legion members at the grave in Riverview cemetery and veterans served as pallbearers. Mr. Smith's friendship with Mr. and Mrs. Kohner dated back several years to association at Baker.
Ravalli Republican, May 11, 1939

    Mrs. N. Rosetta Smith died Sunday evening at the home of her daughter, Mrs. O.W. Jenkins, on the bench east of Corvallis. Death was due to paralysis. The remains were shipped Monday afternoon to Carlton, where interment was made.
    Mrs. Smith was 77 years of age. She is survived by two daughters and four sons. They are Mrs. O.W. Jenkins of Birch Creek and Mrs. Fannie Kelley of Hamilton; E.E. Smith of Dixon, C.E. Smith of Birch Creek, and G.W. Smith of Kansas.
    Friends of the family throughout the valley have offered sympathy.
The Western News, May 28, 1912                 
July 15, 1881 - November 29, 1942
    Funeral services for William L. Smith, 61, first man to operate a stage and freight line between here and Missoula, were held in the Dowling chapel Wednesday afternoon at 2 o'clock. The Rev. C.R. Miller officiated. Interment was in Riverview Cemetery. Pallbearers were Frank Merritt, Art Treece, Joe Haigh, Homer Benson, William Young, and Henry Gilmore.
    Mr. Smith died Sunday at the state hospital following an illness for about 10 years and the remains were brought to the Dowling chapel Monday.
    He was born July 15, 1881 in Ozark, Missouri, and first came to Hamilton in 1904 with his grandfather, who died about a year ago. A little later he returned to Missouri and in 1907, came back here with his family. In addition to his stage line operations, he was a contractor and his last work of that nature consisted of a sub-contract on the Daly hospital and Hamilton high school.
    Survivors include daughter, Mrs. Rose Savage, Fulton, Michigan; sons, Truman, who is with a marine detachment in Seattle, Washington, and Winston, a member of a commando unit in Helena. Both sons are here for the rites and expect to remain about a week.
Ravalli Republican, December 3, 1942

October 21, 1882 - January 5, 1952
    Funeral services were held Monday afternoon at the Dowling chapel of Hamilton to pay tribute to Laura E. Smithey of Corvalls. The services were conducted by Rev. Jesse Dove. Interment was made in Corvallis cemetery. Rites of the OES were also conducted at the chapel. Pallbearers at the funeral were Ray Murphy, Paul Lear, Richard Bryson, Howard Boyer, F.O. Burrell, and Henry Nichols. Mrs. Smithey passed away in Daly Memorial hospital Saturday. The deceased Corvallis matron was a daughter of early settlers of the Bitter Root valley, the late Mr. and Mrs. Neafus,
    Laura Neafus was born at Townsend, Montana, October 21, 1882, came to the Bitter Root with her folks as a girl. She was married to Russell Smithey of Corvallis by Rev. George B. Blair April 19, 1901.
    Those who survive Mrs. Smithey are her widower, three daughters, five grandchildren, and two great granddaughters. The daughters are Mrs. George Lairy and Mrs. Lloyd Rockafellow, both of Corvallis, and Mrs. Elton Dye of Hamilton. Also surviving are two sisters: Mrs. Fred Simer, Central Point, Oregon, and Mrs. Mabel Reynolds, Fresno, California.
Abstract from: The Western News, January 10, 1952

June 1, 1883 - October 18, 1922
Robert Smithey Resident ofValley Many Years.
Charter Member of the Corvallis Presbyterian Church and anUsher for Many Years.
Corvallis, Oct. 20-Robert Smithey, an aged resident of Corvallis, died Wednesday morning at the Hamilton hospital following a lingering illness due to infirmities of age. The funeral occurred yesterday afternoon from the Presbyterian Church, Rev. E. P. Willson officiating. Interment was made in the Corvallis  Cemetery.
    Mr. Smithey had been a resident of Corvallis since 1883, coming here from Missouri. He was a native of Kentucky and was born June 1, 1883, being 87 years of age. He was a charter member of the Corvallis Presbyterian church, and for a number of years acted as usher in this place of worship. He was a devout, yet jovial charter and was respected by the  entire community. His love for horses amounted to a passion and until recent  years although handicapped by rheumatism, he worked with them much of his time. The deceased owned a home in Corvallis and until the last few months lived alone.
    Surviving relatives are a nephew, R.R. Smithey, and a cousin, Mrs. M. E. Popham of Corvallis, and a cousin, R. H. Smithey of Hamilton.
Ravalli Republican
Contributed by Corvallis Community Hertiage Project

February 1, 1902 - October 18, 1988
    A memorial service for Twyla M. Sorenson will be conducted Friday, October 21 at 1 a.m. at the Daly-Leach Chapel with the Rev. Roland Reed officiating. Sorenson passed away Tuesday afternoon in Hamilton at Marcus Daly Memorial Hospital.
Ravalli Republic, October 20, 1988

John Southwick dies Monday
    John J. Southwick, 93, resident of this area since 1924, died Monday afternoon, May 20, following a long illness at the home of a daughter, Mrs. J.T. Mashburn (Hulda Southwick). The deceased was born in Angolla, NY in 1856. In his younger days he had led a colorful and interesting life as driver for a stage coach through the mountains and wilds of Montana. In 1924, he came to the Stroud area and devoted his active days to farming.
    Survivors include three sons, Ulric of Granger, Washington, Richard E. of Ephata, Washington, and John T. of Tulso, Oklahoma; three daughters, Mrs. Clarence (Mary)  Taber of Noxon, Montana; Mrs. Thorwald (Irene) Peterson of Seattle, Washington; and one sister, Mrs. Sophie Roberts of Hamilton, Montana.
    Funeral services were held Wednesday afternoon at the local First Baptist church by James Wilkerson, pastor. Burial was in Stroud cemetery under direction of Peck funeral home.
Stroud Democrat
Stroud, Lincoln County, Oklahoma
May 25, 1950

Ravalli County ties: John J. Southwick's wife Edith Coram Southwick is buried in the Hamilton-Riverview Cemetery as are his parents Josiah and Huldah Southwick. John J. and family are listed in the 1910 census in Ravalli County.
Contributed by Nadine Holder

August 18, 1828 - July 13, 1915
Josiah Southwick Passed Away Tuesday Morning
Funeral was held from the home of son. J.J. Southwick, Wednesday afternoon.
    Josiah Southwick, who had been a resident of the Bitter Root Valley for more than 21 years, died at 6 o'clock Tuesday morning at the home of his son, Mayor J.J. Southwick, on South Second Street. Death was due to the infirmities of old age. The funeral was held Wednesday afternoon at 2 o'clock at the Southwick home. Rev. J.C. Irwin, pastor of the Presbyterian church conducted the services, which were largely attended. The members of the city council acted as pallbearers, the remains being laid to rest in Riverview Cemetery.
    Josiah Southwick was born at North Collins, New York, August 18, 1828, and if he had lived a month longer, he would have reached the age of 87 years. He came of Quaker parentage. He was married to Hulda Hawley, November 18, 1850. The union was blessed with five children, three sons and two daughters, three of whom are still living: Mayor J.J. Southwick of this city. R.E. Southwick of Hart, Michigan, and Mrs. Sophia Roberts of Hamilton. His wife also survives him.
    Mr. Southwick came to Montana in 1892. He resided at Darby for a short time, moving to Hamilton to become a partner of his son-in-law, the late W.H.Roberts, in the Hamilton Book Store. During his residence in Hamilton, Mr. Southwick acquired many friends. The Quaker principles dominated his life and served to bring his friends close to him. In his early life, he was intimately acquainted with such prominent characters of American history as Horace Greely, Grover Cleveland, and Samuel J. Tilden.
Ravalli Republican, July 16, 1915, page 1

Death of Aged Resident
Succumbed to Lung Trouble Monday at the Home of John Ransom After an Illness of One Month
    Robert Speer died Monday evening at the advanced age of 73 years at the home of his daughter, Mrs. John Ransom, on the west side of the Bitter Root river. About a month ago Mr. Speer was taken sick with lung trouble, and although everything possible was done for him, he gradually grew worse.
    The deceased was born in Ohio and when 4 years of age moved with his parents to Carthage, Missouri, residing there until he moved to the Bitter Root valley in 1892, where he had since lived. He first located at Corvallis and purchased town property. At the time of his demise he owned a ranch on the west side of the river, but of late years had been making his home with his daughter. He was a devout Christian and had been a member of the Christian Church since he was 16 years old.
    Mr. Speer is survived by a widow, a son, Jesse Speer of California, and two daughters, Mrs. Scott Sherrill of Ross Hole and Mrs. John Ransom of Hamilton. The funeral was conduced by Rev. W.D. Lear of Corvallis at the Ransom home Wednesday afternoon at 2:30 o'clock and interment occurred at Riverview Cemetery.
Ravalli Republican, April 19, 1907, page 1

James Spooner Was Sick Only a Short Time
Was Eighty-Three Years Old and Had Lived in the Bitter Root Valley Fifty-Five Years
Victor, November 10 - John Spooner passed away Sunday at the home of his daughter,Mrs. C.P. Mendell, who resides three miles east of Victor, after an illness of four days. He was 83 years old and had lived in the valley 55 years. He leaves one daughter and four sons, A.L., Fred, Henry, and Patrick Spooner. The funeral services were held Tuesday afternoon at 2 o’clock at the Presbyterian church in Stevensville, Rev. Ross officiating,and interment was in the Stevensville cemetery.
Ravalli Republican, Friday, November 17, 1916

June 25, 1858 - October 11, 1930
    J.L. Summers, a well known pioneer, died at his home in Corvallis last Sunday. The family were all at home that day except Mrs. Bay, a daughter, and had enjoyed the occasion as Mr. Summers had seemed in such good spirits. He had finished his dinner and had been looking at a paper, falling asleep, he collapsed in his chair. He had been under the doctor's care for several years.
    Joseph Lafayette Summers was born in Date county, Missouri, January 25, 1858. He came to Montana in the spring of 1881 and returned to Missouri in the fall of 1883 to wed Mary Chaffin on October 21, 1883. they would have celebrated their 48th anniversary October 21. They returned to Montana in 1887. To them were born two children, Mrs. Frank Price of Corvallis, and Mrs. Hans Bay of Long Beach, California. Surviving are his wife, Mrs. Frank Price, Mrs. Hans Bay and Russell Bay and one great grandchild. Also three sisters, Mrs. T.M. Doran of Hamilton, Mrs. Ella Galbraith of Springfield and Mrs. Alex Mitchell of Denver, Colorado. Mr. Summers had one brother, John A. Summers, who passed away several years ago. Services were held at the United Church by Rev. James F. Swallow. Interment was made in the Corvallis Cemetery. The pall bearers were Rev. C.J. Tabor, Rev. R.L. Meyers, and Rev. S.J. Powell, B.J. Smith, James D. St. John, and Matt Vaughn.
The Western News, October 15, 1931, page 3