Beaverhead County

MTGenWeb

A proud part of MTGenWeb 

If you have corrections or additions, please  Email me here.

Churches of Beaverhead County

Church work has been going on in Beaverhead County since 1867 when Protestant work was started at Bannack.  Beaverhead County has

 had nine protestant churches and as of 1922 had six which were active. Source: "The Church on the Changing Frontier" by

Helen O Belknap, 1922.

Source: "The Church on the Changing Frontier" by Helen O Belknap, 1922. Courtesy of Project Gutenburg.

 

First Baptist Church of Dillon, Montana, mentioned in a 1906 directory of Dillon as organized in 1883 with a membership of 70.  Located then at Idaho on the NE corner of Sebree.  Pastor was Rev Horace W Tilden.

1887: Rev Mr Bostwick (Dillon Tribune)

Catholic Church of Dillon, Montana.

Mentioned in the 1906 Dillon directory as the St Rose Lima Church, at Atlantic on the SE corner of Sebree.  Pastor Rev Charles McGlynn.

 

Church was built in 1887 according to the Dillon Tribune 30 Dec 1887.  Brick work by McCune, carpenter work by Meyers & Gibson, Cost $5,000.

Bannack Methodist Church

St James Episcopal Church on Washington on NE corner of Glendale, mentioned in a 1906 directory of Dillon as organized in 1881 with a membership then of 95.  Rector Rev Sidney D Hooker.  Earlier minister was Rev E Gregory Prout.  A D Drummond was rector in the early-mid 1880s (per marriage records)

A link to their site, which includes a history of the church.

 

Rev Hooker mentioned in Dec 1887 Dillon Tribune of St James Episcopal with Mrs Pickman at the organ.

Photo needed please

First Danish Evangelical Lutheran Church, mentioned in 1906 directory of Dillon. Located on Pacific and Clark. Rev H O Sayre is the pastor in 1906.

Grace Methodist Episcopal Church, Bannack and Washington in Dillon. According to the 1906 directory it was organized in 1881 and the pastor at that time was Rev Samuel A Lough. Pastor in 1885 was W A Shannon (from marriage records).  Pastor Rev Mr Ingersell in 1887 (Dillon Tribune) It has been rebuilt.

Please send photo of the historic church

Photo needed please

First Presbyterian Church, Pacific at Glendale, organized Sept 1888. Listed in the 1906 directory of Dillon, and the pastor at that time was Rev Albert B Martin.

Catholic Church, Dillon

   

 

 

  2016 to present, Beaverhead County MTGenWeb Project. All Rights Reserved.

This page was last updated on -08/10/2019

 

Return to index page